The Agent project aims for a flight efficient and safe collaborative and supervised separation management system, operationally integrated into trajectory management and collision avoidance layers within a TBO concept. To accomplish and create a suitable solution for the defined task, Agent will address the following key objectives:
- O1: To propose an innovative automation-based future design of an ATM system supporting a shift from a nowadays centrally controlled ATM system to a distributed system, in which aircraft and ATC collaborates for forming adaptive aerial Ecosystems, with self-government capabilities, to find an optimal compromise accounting for safety, capacity and cost-efficiency aspects.
- O2: To develop AC- and Pilot-side Decision Making Tools to transform aircraft and ATC into Intelligent Agents that can communicate with each other using machine-to-machine interfaces with the aim to securely and safely make best use of existing airspace capacity, while also allowing the integration of diverse aircraft operator and business models.
- O3: To build the ontology for knowledge representation, reasoning and machine-to-machine communication between intelligent agents, giving rise to a communication vocabulary that enables information sharing with and among the aircraft and ATC (i.e. agents) interacting in the same ecosystem.
- O4: To verify the AGENT DMT using real traffic information and to validate the results by means of scenarios in a simulated environment in which traceable and transparent information of the different scenarios and solutions together with its impact will be reported.
- O5: To demonstrate and quantify the potential for the innovative ATM design to provide benefits in safety, capacity and efficiency of ATM operations, ensuring a wider acceptance of the research results and conducting demonstration activities used to build confidence in the effectiveness of the concept.